Dept. of Computing Science, University of Alberta
email@example.com| Linkedin | Twitter
Hi there! I am a Ph.D. student in EdTeKLA research group led by Dr. Carrie Demmans Epp. My research interests fall into Human-centered computing and Adaptive Educational Technology. Recent research involves the use of sensory and psychometric approaches to support student modelling which can further inform the adaptation designs that improve the learning performance and enhance the learning experience.
I used to work on remote communication with mixed reality and gesture interactions. I earned my Master’s degree in Information Architecture at Waseda University under the supervision of Dr. Jiro Tanaka.
- Investigating Meta-affect in Online Learning (Collaborator: Dr. Genaro Rebolledo-Mendez and ALERT LAB led by Dr. Maria Cutumisu)
- Eye-gaze Learning Analytics to Support Online Learning
- Student Attentional Behaviours during Healthcare Training (Collaborator: SSRL led by Dr. Bin Zheng)
- Learning Analytics in Online Pilot Training (Collaborator: Delphi Technology Corp)
- Augmented Reality&Virtual Reality Use in Education
- Gonz ́alez Esparza, L., Cai, M., Palestino, I., Rebolledo-Mendez, G., Demmans Epp, C., & Cutumisu, M. Automatically Detecting Affect in Computerized Learning Environments: A Systematic Literature Review. In: Proceedings of the 20th Biennial European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction Conference. EARLI’23. August 2023, Thessaloniki , Greece (Accepted)
- *Cai, M., & Demmans Epp, C. Modeling Cognitive Load and Affect to Support Adaptive Online Learning. in: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Educational Data Mining. EDM’22. 2022, July https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.6853020
- *Cai, M., Demmans Epp, C., & Firoozi, T. (2022, July). Complex Learning Environments: Tensions in Student Perspectives that Indicate Competing Values. In Artificial Intelligence in Education. Posters and Late Breaking Results, Workshops and Tutorials, Industry and Innovation Tracks, Practitioners’ and Doctoral Consortium: 23rd International Conference, AIED 2022, Durham, UK, July 27–31, 2022, Proceedings, Part II (pp. 144-149). https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-031-11647-6_25
- *Cai, M., Zheng, B., & Demmans Epp, C. (2022, July). Towards Supporting Adaptive Training of Injection Procedures: Detecting Differences in the Visual Attention of Nursing Students and Experts. In Proceedings of the 30th ACM Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (pp. 286-294). https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3503252.3531302
- *Cai, M., Akcayir, G., & Epp, C. D. (2021). Exploring Augmented Reality Games in Accessible Learning: A Systematic Review. CHI 2021: Adaptive Accessible AR/VR Systems, May 2021, Japan http://arxiv.org/abs/2111.08214